What is an accessible room? How do you rate it?

I was curious on how you rate accessibility… is it that you can fit through a door, a bathroom door in a wheelchair, or reach the thermostat, be able to park close to your room? Or simply because it has a grab bar?

I’m not convinced this is any better than calling the hotel/motel and getting someone who says yeah we’re accessible…

I love the idea that you are trying … but getting back to me in 48 hours with a yes or a no doesn’t seem to fit the bill

We have found several that are called handicap, but aren’t accessible.

Once when we checked in we found out that the room was at the far end of the hall. When I asked about something closer I was told that we could use the back door next to the room. There was a simi cab parked there next to the edge of the curb. The closes ramp was back at the front. The only difference between that room and a regular one was a couple of bars, but the set up wasn’t acceptable/safe.

We have had a room in another hotel that the bathroom door didn’t open the entire way. It was a left swing with the room door on the right. He barely had space to get around the large bathroom door and the wall to get into the bathroom. The rest wasn’t too bad. It did have a roll in shower.

At least our rooms have been on the 1st floor. I wish there was a national standard for handicap rooms and that the standard addressed most of the problems we face. I think each state has its own minimum requirements.

In Kansas the handicap parking doesn’t have to be the closest, it just has to exist. We had to walk from the side of the building almost across the front of the building to get to the door. All closer parking was full of non-handicap vehicles as the markings indicated was correct.

I’m sure we all have stories like these.

My son needs a roll in bathroom shower. He is totally dependent and travels with own bath chair and portable lift system. He needs a bathroom wide enough to roll into with his portable lift.

Also, most handicapped rooms only gave a king size bed. My son has caretakers and he does not want to sleep in the same bed with them. Handicapped rooms need two beds for people with attendants or family members.

With the number of our veterans who acquire accommodations, the elderly and people with disabilities.

Each disability requires a different technology. Hearing impaired need a light to ring the phone, door or respond to an emergency.

We need more education about what a person needs when he ask for a handicapped room.

Also if I make a reservation, I should be guaranteed a handicapped room. I have been told by hotels that they cant reserve handicap rooms which sound ridiculous

I suggest asking for the manager and asking specific questions such as : How high is the bed? Is the shower roll-in? Are the light switches and thermostat lowered? Are there grab bars and how wide are the doorways? Etc. How far from the elevator is the room? The desk clerks have no idea and just say “Yes, it’s accessible.”

Hi all- its been a few months since my trip to Pakistan for a month-- which was very awesome- somewhat limited on accessibility --it seems if people are differently abled, they just stay home-- ugh. Wheelchair rentals are non existent, you might find a used store with them, but they tend to be very small and very uncomfortable. I ended up bringing my wheelchair from home. Which my finance quickly broke becasue he had no skills with pushing me and he crashed into many curbs and broke a front wheel. Yes thats possible. We think chairs are easy to push, but we all know the difficulties of going up and down hills-- add to that no curb cuts and rough roads and it can be a less then experience. I will not bring a wheelchar again there, Cars are too small and you cant fit 2 people and a wheelchair in one. I didnt see any walkers or electric wheelchairs. Accessibility to me only comes into play when i go to Florida and then it means a room close to the elevator. I usually tough it out every where I go-- Although in one hotel we stayed in they had a nice roll in shower, a kitchennette, bedroom and TV room all for $30 a night. But there are higher charges for foreigners. And if you have white skin and blonde hair, like me, rates for everything is higher. Except the zoo- it was free and they had wheelchairs. Accessibility means different things for different people. Its hard to tolerate when you feel gypped on the accomodations.

The lack of uniform standards for Accessible rooms in America is maddening. Some places call any room with one grab bar in a bath tub accessible. Once in LA my room had a tub right next to the toilet so you had to get in at the right end of the tub, yet the sole grab bar was a vertical one in the back left corner of the tub, so you had to already be in the tub to reach it. This was after I had spoken with the front desk while making the reservation to make sure it was accessible to me.

As to the practice of putting the accessible rooms at the far end of the hall away from the elevators, I SUSPECT that this is to get us as close as possible to the emergency stairs, since nobody is supposed to use the elevators during a fire. Whether we can actually use those stairs of not is a different question. And I have seen ground floor accessible rooms at the far end of the hall from the lobby.

How can we change this ??? There must be one hotel chain would change
and provide us what they advertise!
Any ideas out there to get started. The high beds seems a sales person sold all the chains thicker top mattresses :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Hi Carl,
Thank you so much for your question and your feedback, we really appreciate this!

To answer your questions, together with Open Doors Non Profit (see https://opendoorsnfp.org) accessibleGO has developed a list of about 50 accessibility features that we know are important to our community, including things that are covered by the ADA and some beyond the ADA like bed height. Each feature has set criteria, for example it’s not enough just to say the bathroom is accessible so we’ve broken it down into a various key items, like the bathroom must have 60 inches of turning space. We then covered about 6,000 hotels across the US for this information and we are continuing to add more cities regularly.

However, you raise an excellent point in that this information is self-reported by hotels who may or may not have the necessary knowledge when gathering this information.

Our vision for hotel accessibility has three parts to ensure our community has their needs met: information self-reported by hotels, community reviews which either confirm or conflict with the hotel information and finally, our own hotel accessibility certification.

So to this end, we will soon be releasing hotel accessibility certification, which will mean that we have actually verified that this hotel meets the minimum 20 essential accessibility features that we have determined together with Open Doors Organization. Each feature will have a picture or video to demonstrate that it is indeed built correctly and measurements are confirmed.

You should also know that when our customers book on our site, we don’t just respond in 48 hours with a yes or no. We speak with the hotel staff to determine if the room has the right configuration (bathroom type, bed configuration) to meet the specific needs indicated by the guest. Often we request the guest be moved to the right room type when needed. And frequently we request pictures from the hotel with a measuring tape to ensure that exact requirements will be fulfilled. All of this is to give confidence to our community that we have their back.

Please stay tuned for the upcoming launch of our hotel accessibility certification and if you’d like to help provide feedback on the pilot program, please email contact@accessibleGO.com

1 Like