What is possible? What have you done?

From a community member:

I just want an idea of what travel looks like for people who are disabled. What activities are accessible?

That’s a very broad question… can you be a little more specific? What kind of disability are you trying to accommodate? In what country?

1 Like

This is what travel looks like with Muscular Dystrophy for me. Have several more cruises to go.

2 Likes

Just need a little more information about your disability and where you would like to travel to? I can tell you a disability, handicap or multiple handicaps does not need to limit your travel or bucket list of place to go or see. It just needs planning and research. I have seen the beaches in the Caribbean, penguins in Antarctica, whales in Alaska and Hawaii, glaciers and icebergs, the kangaroos and koalas in Australia and the beautiful and old areas in the Mediterranean. As for travel in USA I have done it by car, train, bus and plane. Don’t let a disability or handicap stop you. By the way it can also be done solo.

1 Like

Our daughter is 40 and has a spinal cord injury, she is in a self propelled wheelchair :manual_wheelchair: she has no use of her feet. I am interested in knowing what has been a good choice for you and your family to vacation. Following this post. We live in South central Pennsylvania.

our favorite beach destination is Virginia Beach…super easy for wheelchair users if you choose a hotel on the boardwalk…everything you could possibly want on a vacation is on the boardwalk (which is paved and very smooth, and used by people with all kinds of wheels)…free entertainment, great restaurants, beautiful beach with wheelchair ramps…nearby drives to historic Williamsburg, Busch Garden, Norfolk naval …do plan a boat trip to see dolphins or whales thru Rudee tours…they are incredibly wheelchair friendly!

I would recommend New York City. We travel with our son in a wheelchair and it is one of his and our favorites. It is relatively easy to get and accessible taxi to get around. I would not recommend it in the winter. We were there last January and was stuck in the hotel one day when it snowed and it took the city a day to dig out. All of the museums and theaters are accessible. Shopping is great. Hotels have accessible rooms. Be sure to make sure they have the room you need. Only downside is that most hotels have no pools.

Mannettedenise Thank You great information!

Hello. I was born and raised in Harrisburg area of PA. I have lived back in that area a in recent years. Additionally, I lived in Wellsboro PA for years. I love the beach and ocean so recommend cruises out of Baltimore to the Caribbean or beach visit in Delaware at Rehoboth Beach or Ocean City MD. A great experience is going by car from Lewes, DE to Cape May NJ on the Cape May/Lewes Ferry. If you want to see beautiful scenery go to the PA Grand Canyon outside of Wellsboro. Easy drive from South Central PA and handicap friendly. Another great place is Saratoga Springs NY for scenery. Tell me how long you want to travel and what mode of transportation and give you more ideas. I use a scooter, wheelchair and walker to get around and have traveled extensively over the years. I find cruising the easiest now. Convenient and they are prepared for handicapped passengers.

Both my husband and I use rollators for walking as we have knee and back issues. I cannot walk anywhere without it. However, we travel often and all over. It’s just a question of finding the right places that can accommodate your needs. Call ahead and ask for ADA rooms. Be specific with your questions. Just heard a story about a bathroom with grab handles. It had them, but not on the side where they were needed!

Most tourist accomodations will try their best to meet your needs. We once had a whole different 50 person tram tour car provided for us (from storage) since I could not raise my legs high enough to get on and they had no step stool. And EVERYWHERE will accommodate the rollators.

Be sure the pool has an entry for YOUR needs - zero entry, wide stairs with sturdy handrails, or whatever is best for you. We stayed recently where there was a lovely pool, but only two short ladders to get in or out. Ladders and my disabilites don’t go together.

We travel with extra equipment, just in case. Toilet seat height extender, folding bed back supports, suction cup grab handles, etc. All help, if needed.

Good luck!