What's a GOOD travel memory you have? Somebody who really went the extra mile for you?

We’ve all had our share of bad travel experiences, but what’s one GOOD memory you have with somebody who really went above and beyond to help you out?

I need a little holiday cheer today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went to Austin Texas by train. There was a train wreck, and we were diverted. We got on a bus and then had to change buses twice. Somewhere my bag with my insulin was left behind. A passenger on another bus searched for my bag and gave it to the clerk in the depot so they could send it on to me. The driver of my bus asked the driver of the other bus to search but he would not. A passenger on my bus had a friend on a different bus and she asked them to search. Surely my guardian angel was watching out for me

1 Like

Hello,
I just came back from Hawaii. Was there a month. Folks there are so so kind and always asking you if you needed help.
The handi-van is available 21 days for qualified folks. Made it very smooth to go shopping ect. Happy place and beautiful holiday decorations on palm trees.
Really a treat. My chair didn’t have anything broken or walker.
That’s always a good start :christmas_tree::gift::pray:t3:

2 Likes

I recent did a b2b cruise in october on board enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore. Michael the head waiter for the main dining room made sure for breakfast every morning i had plenty of gluten free options and after dinner at night my choices made for dinner the next day. Outstanding service

1 Like

I cannot say enough good stuff about my experiences with Holland America Line. I love cruising and they are by gar the best at assisting their physically handicapped travelers. Starting with boarding the ship then my stateroom and bath are easily accessible. I usualky dine in the casual restaurant about deck 9 for breakfast and lunch. A waiter immediately is at my elbow once I park my scooter abd usecmy fane to reach a table. By day 2 ge kniws I want cream wuth my viffee and a glass of ice water in addition to my juice. He knows I love blueberries abd wgen ttey don’t hsce them on tte morning buffet of fruit he whispers yhey are taking on fresh provisions at this syltop byt ge has a bowl of blueberries in the kitchen just for me. I never have to stand in a line for food ss ibe ir morw crew offer to help me (I have even had officers from tte crew offer me assistance.
Their public handicapped restroims are the best I have ever seen and they are conveniently placed around the ship. I know there will be one just at rte eearxof rte casual restaurant.
The excursions desk folks are very helpful in telling ne exactky how much walking is involved and what accommodations may or may not be available once on land. When going off the ship the crew assists me with my scooter. I have been taken down to a lower level to make it easier for me to leave the ship and roll right onto a tender that is needed to get ashore. There has been only one time that I was advised not to try to go ashore because there wss an unusually low tide and the angle of the gang plank was so severe ecen able-bodied travelers were having great difficulty especially with trying to get back onboard. The crew is always there wgen I return should I need assistance getting back up the ramp.
At dinner they park my scooter for me abd if I choise to dee a show in the theater there are quite a number of handicapped seats available. I gave traveled with ttem from week long trips to one that was 22 days. I have also gone inlabd with their padtbrrs as they owned the bus, the train and the hotels and all were very accommodating. Vir exampke: train had elevator to take me and my scooter to 1st level (restrooms, restaurant, gift shop), tten 2nd elevator took ne to 2nd level where we had airplane style seating but with more room. We had one young man who wss a paraplegic and in a power chair. They were able to take him and his chair to the 2nd level and lock down his chair into the floor.
I have tried a couple of other cruise lines but neither came close.

1 Like

So this just happened two days ago when
I was visiting Switzerland. I use a manual wheelchair with a SmartDrive power assistant I was in the train from Lausanne to Zurich airport. I was in a wheelchair accessible car which was a two level car with a cafe on the second level. Anyway when the train pulled into the station I found that the door I needed to use to get on the platform was not operational. I used the door on the other side to get on and didn’t notice it until it was too late. All of the walking people went up the stairs and to a different car to exit the train but I was stuck. I pushed the emergency intercom but could not speak German (the primary language for that part of Switzerland) so I could not explain the problem. Then an older lady who could speak English jumped in and spoke to the person e ply the problem… just when I thought it wound resolved, the train started moving again to its next stop… the lady pulled down the emergency brake which caused all sorts of alarms and stuff to go off. Eventually after about five minutes they figured out how to get me off the train and that wonderful woman stayed with me the whole time and made sure I got to the main part of the station OK… I usually am pretty independent in travel and usually decline most offers of assistance but this time it was more than welcome

1 Like

@spaalaska This is a great memory! Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:
My mom was a flight attendant for 50 years, and Hawaii was one of her main routes. She loved to go there because she always spoke so highly of people’s kindness. I dream of going again soon!

@sylvia1345 That’s so amazing!!! What a wonderful person that would do that for you. I’m so glad it worked out!

@matthew.brandley I love a Michael! That’s so sweet of him. Great story. :slight_smile:

@cycleboy99 I am always so moved by strangers who are willing to put themselves out there for other people!! What a wonderful person. Sometimes, I wish these people could know how often i think back on them and appreciate them. :slight_smile:

@marshhatter Woah, this is incredible! I’ve never been on a cruise before, but if I ever went - this would be my pick. Thank you for sharing!!!